Monday, June 13, 2011

CSS, Princeton (Sound Academy, May 17, 2011)

Like many of the fans down at the Docks on this weeknight I was here for the pumping jams of Sleigh Bells. However that set lacked the crowd participation that the small but rabid contingency of CSS fans brought to their night-closing set. The girls (and their male bandmates) played high-energy and it reverberated right back at them as people grooved along. For me it was the obvious Music is My Hot Sex, from their debut album where their lack of grasp of the English language was most endearing, that got me going. I also appreciated the shout out to Jesse and Sebastien before launching into Let's Make Love and Listen Death From Above. But by the encore I didn't even need the recognizability to enjoy the show as there was such a super energy rippling out of the small crowd.

Princeton were an alright indie rock band with some decent reverb and secondary vocals, but not a while lot to set them apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment