Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Diamond Rings, Land of Talk (Yonge-Dundas Square, NXNE, June 17, 2011)

Diamond Rings has catchy as fly balls songs, but they are laptop constructed beats with some electric strumming overtop. So as much as I dig Special Affections there really isn't too much to entertain at a live show after you note the change of eyeshadow shade and just how skinny those skinny pants are. Is a highlight accidentally unplugging and then re-amping your guitar mid-song? Word was that he rapped on his opening tune (that I missed) - so perhaps a new twist to come?


Land of Talk have never been my thing and even with Gentleman Reg's cross-dressing alter ego, Light Fires, adding vocals on the first few songs I wasn't swayed by this show. The closing instrumental breakdown of the final song sounded good but it was too little, too late for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment