Monday, August 25, 2014

Offspring, Pennywise, Bad Religion, Vandals - Echo Beach (Aug 7)

The Offspring
A celebration of the band's breakthrough success of Smash two decades on, they barreled out with a raised drum kit and the pretty guitarist also on a raised platform, while flanking Dexter was his bassist and Noodles. After an extended intro from their classic pre-recorded voice, which finished by dissing us all in the way only The Offspring can, they ripped into Nitro and didn't look back. The pit was set off and the sand flew from Echo Beach. A crowd that seemed all to have been young punks for that initial release two decades prior proved it with a lot of shouting along - who can resist Bad Habit's "Stupid Dumb Shit Goddamn Mothefucker?" The only pause came when they skipped over Self Esteem in the track listing only to tack it onto the end the album in this live rendition. After a very brief 'intermission' they were back with a swagger to lay down basically the greatest hits - both singles and a few beloved cuts: Gonna Go Far Kid, Pretty Fly, She's Got Issues, Head Around You. Consummate performers they haven't missed a beat from their polished but raw show that I last saw in the Americana or perhaps Splinter era. Forgoing an encore they just closed strong with one of their strongest in The Kids Aren't Alright. Quite possibly, nostalgia aside, as good now as then!

Pennywise
I remember in my punk days debating whether Pennywise could be my favourite band. There's not a song I don't like! That being said, the songs were short bursts of fast chords with the odd political leaning rant and coming on thirty years into their career I'm happy to report they are still doing the same. The set was underway with a good showing of punks and former punks by the time they launched into Fuck Authority and I launched myself into the pit. There I found Pennywise the clown skanking it up in the circle pit as the beloved underachievers did what they've been doing best all these years. Compared to the consummate professionals in Bad Religion to follow, these guys were playing up their drunken laziness while sticking with favourites such as Society and their eponymous single. There were enough tunes to keep me going through the elbows and sweat of the pit until their finale, the still smoldering Bro Hymn.

Bad Religion
Is that the announcer? Maybe the guy in black pants and black golf shirt is a professor who has come to impart a message? The latter theory turns out to be closer to the truth as the singer for Bad Religion is a professor and he wants to teach us how to continue in success on your chosen career path. PW do things a little different, as BR seemed to be fit and focused on playing technically well. Their political messages are also sung loud though the collection of music is a little more varied than some of their punk compadres. Besides Sorrow and a few other bigger tunes, plus a newer tune, Fuck You, I knew less than I expected to know but they still sounded great. Perhaps scared off by my friend being dropped on his head at the last BR show nearly a decade ago I stayed to the back and away from the pit but from there I could hear it sounding quite fine.

The Vandals
All these years on and these guys are still goofs. I can't even remember now if I caught them at a Warped Tour or anything - probably - but they don't seem to have grown up much. Fun-loving they seemed to be taking the piss for much of the set, playing quick songs all introduced as "by The Vandals." From the back it seemed a bit silly but there were those who had come early and seemed to be digging in the sand of Echo Beach, especially for songs even I recognized such as Oi to the World! and My Girlfriend's Dead, both By The Vandals. As a finale their bass player took over and lead a long sprawling cover with a lot of personality though I couldn't quite figure out what was going on and perhaps that was the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment