Friday, June 15, 2012

Polaris Prize Long List Initial Reaction 2012


Here's my initial reaction.

10 means I think it should be on the short list top 10 (automatic five stars *****). Whereas 11 means I didn't mark it as top 10 first time through but when I only had 8 picks in my top 10 after going through the list I added 2 more. 

There are plenty of ? this year which means things I'm excited to seek out!
(Middle column question mark means I've heard it but want to spend more time with it)

One question though - where is Brasstronaut?!

A Tribe Called Red - A Tribe Called Red?
Marie-Pierre Arthur - Aux alentours?
Rich Aucoin - We're All Dying To Live10
Avec pas d'casque - Astronomie?
Azari & III - Azari & III?
Bahamas - Barchords**
The Barr Brothers - The Barr Brothers?
Blackie And The Rodeo Kings - Kings And Queens?
Cadence Weapon - Hope In Dirt City**?
Kathryn Calder - Bright And Vivid****11
Cannon Bros - Firecracker / Cloudglow?
Coeur de pirate - Blonde***
Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas?
Cold Specks - I Predict A Graceful Expulsion10
Rose Cousins - We Have Made A Spark?
Mark Davis - Eliminate The Toxins?
Drake - Take Care***
Kathleen Edwards - Voyageur10
Feist - Metals**
Fucked Up - David Comes To Life***11
Great Lake Swimmers - New Wild Everywhere*
Grimes - Visions****10
Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital10
Japandroids - Celebration Rock10
Dan Mangan - Oh Fortune10
Mares Of Thrace - The Pilgrimage?
Ariane Moffatt - MA?
Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots?
Parlovr - Kook Soul***
Sandro Perri - Impossible Spaces?
Joel Plaskett Emergency - Scrappy Happiness***
PS I Love You - Death Dreams***
John K. Samson - Provincial**
Shooting Guns - Born To Deal In Magic: 1952-1976?
The Slakadeliqs - The Other Side of Tomorrow?
Patrick Watson - Adventures In Your Own Backyard10
Bry Webb - Provider**?
The Weeknd - Echoes of Silence*
Yamantaka // Sonic Titan - YT//ST?
Yukon Blonde - Tiger Talk**

No comments:

Post a Comment