Sunday, March 25, 2012

CMW: Dine Alone Showcase (El Mocambo, Mar 23, '12)

Not in chronological order, or any order at all really.

The Sheepdogs were rumoured to be the secret guests and were the logical choice. Following hours of speculation their manager confirmed my suspicion while taking a piss upstairs, so it was pure elation when they took the stage. They rocked as they are apt to doLearn & Burn, The One You Belong To amongst em. I'd taken off my amateur blogger cap by this point and put on my drunk music fan bib so details are sketchy but it was fun. What do you want me to say? I Don't Know!

If The Sheepdogs epitomize '70s rock I'm not sure what era Monster Truck represent but it is unabashed, straight-ahead, loud-as-they-can-get-it, rock and roll that they play. And it's pretty darn good too. Didn't realize just how loud the upstairs of the El Mo can get until I got run over by a Monster Truck (wuh waa).  

The Apache Relay were a band I was told I was going to like. From the opening a capella intro I was into it and as the band joined in it only improved. There was an energy on stage from both the music and the members that carried back and forth with the audience. The amped violin added a stellar touch too. Found a new group in these Nashville boys.

Upstairs of the El Mo (my first time ever up there) I found the bearded Spencer playing earnest acoustic guitar before his band of slide guitar, cello, violin, drum and electric guitar also came to life. Folk music riding the swell of those instruments, Grey Kingdom was a pleasant surprise. Spencer proved to be a very amusing fellow though his candid banter as well.

Also upstairs Hacienda played a set with the endorsement of one of the Black Keys members. It was a fine little enjoyable rock set though that's about all my notes have to say about these guys.

I purposely arrived early for The Great Bloomers to see what the five piece has been up to since I last saw them years ago. They played some indie rock without much flare so unfortunately they didn't stand out in the sea of CMW.

Same goes for Dinosaur Bones as Great Bloomers. I'd seen em at last year's CMW and like some of their recorded stuff but didn't set themselves apart with this middle-of-the-line set.

Unfortunately a band I was really looking forward to catching againParlovr, were right before the Sheepdogs but on the other level. Having already slipped in through the out door for the 'dogs I didn't want to chance being stuck away from the special guests and therefore missed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment