Friday, August 26, 2011

Fred Penner + Dan Mangan - Hillside Sunday 2011

Word was spreading across the festival - Dan Mangan was tuning up a guitar at Fred Penner's stage. With the RAA's final note still hanging in the air I snaked my way out of that crowd and straight to see this for myself. Sure enough upon arrival Dan was already on stage with the man that sang my generation many a tune while growing up. I'm not sure that he entered through a log or if there was a visit from Word Bird but otherwise this was Fred. He knew how to play to our hearts, realizing that he was a distant but vivid memory of childhood for us in the crowd. When they busted out Sandwiches, the song - not the foodstuff, I was euphoric. As Gord of The Crackling joined Fred on guitar someone on stage made reference to Shred Penner! Fred was pretty hip still too, smoothly tossing a cat-in-the-bucket K-Os lyric into The Cat Came Back/Hit the Road Cat!
Nobody gets a midday encore at Hillside, but that Lake stage was adamant, so not only did he play This Little Light but he even came back again for You Are My Sunshine. Amazing what happens when your boyhood and manhood idols come together! Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment