Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Top Music 2012 - Albums, Singles, EPs, Videos

The big reveal..

I've finally gotten around to sorting through my scraps of (digital) paper holding notes scrawled throughout the year as reminders of just which albums I was thoroughly digging in 2012. People have mused that it wasn't an overly strong year but looking within and beyond the Canadian borders there was no issue filling this out. (Mind you it was no 2011)

Without further ado

Albums

  1. Evening Hymns - Spectral Dusk
  2. Patrick Watson - Adventures in Your Own Backyard
  3. Wintersleep - Hello Hum
  4. Fun. - Some Nights [US]
  5. Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn't [Sweden]
  6. Cold Specks - I Predict a Graceful Expulsion
  7. Brasstronaut - Mean Sun
  8. Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats [US]
  9. The Strumbellas - My Father and the Hunter
  10. How To Dress Well - Total Loss [US]
Other considerations


   *Canadian except where indicated


EPs
There were a couple notable EPs released this year as well. Let's make a new category.
Singles of the Year
  1. Luke Lalonde - Undone
  2. Alt-J - Tessellate [UK]
  3. Phedre - In Decay
  4. Ben Folds Five - Do It Anyway [US]
  5. Sunparlour Players - Shake and Bake for Goodness Sake
  6. Two Hours Traffic - Amour than Amis
Video Singles
(Song and Message too!)

Late 2011 Find
As much as I wanted to dislike Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino's musical offerings it was pretty easy to dismiss his I am Just a Rapper mixtapes but Camp could not be ignored and I just had to listen to it. Candid lyrics with a smart wit and quick wordplay, it is a mostly fun and revealing hip hop album.
  • Childish Gambino - Camp [US]

1 comment:

  1. The Lumineers probably should have had a spot somewhere in here. Damn that's a fun album bringing it back to the roots - somehow I overlooked it on review. (Thanks for the prompting Trevor.)

    ReplyDelete