Sunday, May 27, 2012

PS I Love You (Garrison, May 15 '12)

Second album, second shot. Skipping the openers in favour of Hey Ocean I arrived just in time for the duo's set. However they aren't a live duo anymore, being joined by a Matters (formerly D'urbervilles) member who augmented their guitar/drum barrage with either keys, bass or more guitar. The Garrison was full but not jammed and frankly I thought the audience was going to be more into the band that had double cover stories the previous week (both Exclaim and Now). Off the top the band didn't kick it (opener saw Paul on bass, not guitar) and nobody, myself included really got into it. Maybe five tracks deep when some more standout tracks (Muster Station's 2012 and current single, Sentimental Dishes) were added it began to pick up. There was a perfunctory ovation for an encore and it satisfied but wasn't mind blowing either. I'd been promised a show I could feel as well as hear so despite the ear plugs it hardly came across as such. That being said when I disengaged them for the final number it was definitely loud, if not earth shaking. That could be said for the entire show in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment